A Letter to International Students of SIC, SCNU
A Letter to International Students of SIC, SCNU
In order to take active measures to prevent the outbreak of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), and to minimize the adverse effects of the epidemic on teaching and personnel training, Department of Education of Guangdong Province and SCNU announced that students were not allowed to return to school yet and should study online. Following the guidance of our higher authorities, to best help prevent the outbreak, to improve students’ awareness of self-protection, and to ensure the health and safety of our students, the relevant matters are hereby notified as follows.
I. Comply with epidemic prevention and control arrangements established by SCNU and SIC
1. To ensure the health and safety of our students, all students are not allowed to return to SCNU in advance. To minimize the chance of infection, do not go to the epidemic areas to engage in any activities and avoid meeting people who returned from the epidemic areas. In order to effectively cut off the transmission routes and reduce the risk of being infected while traveling, please do not return to SCNU in advance，no matter where you are. If conditions permit, please stay still and avoid moving across regions. Don’t book tickets until SCNU releases rescheduled opening date.
2. Students who stay on campus must abide by the management requirements during the SCNU epidemic prevention and control and obey the unified arrangements of SCNU. Keep your personal rooms clean, do not go out at will, and try not to leave the campus. If you have to go, please timely report to the teachers in charge of International Student Administration, Office of International Exchange and Cooperation.
3. Students who stay on campus are required to study in the dormitory. Do not leave the campus to travel, or gather for meals and parties in the dormitory. It is forbidden to invite outsiders to enter the dormitory. Avoid visits to crowded areas and places of poor ventilation. Do not buy unclean take-out food, and please go to SCNU’s designated canteens and pack the food back to the dormitory to reduce public contact.
II. Strengthen self-protection and reduce the risk of infection
1. Avoid visits to crowded public areas and contact with patients with fever and respiratory tract infections. Please wear masks when you go out for protection. Surgical masks and N95 masks are recommended. Please wear them correctly, change them regularly, put used masks in plastic bags and discard them in hazardous waste bins. At present, SIC has collected a batch of surgical masks, which will arrive in about a week and will be distributed to our teachers and students.
2. Pay close attention to your personal hygiene. Wash your hands frequently before and after going out, and do not spit. When sneezing or coughing, cover your nose and mouth with tissue or bent elbows instead of your hands. Used tissues should be discarded in hazardous waste bins. Maintain good personal life and hygienic habits, such as washing your hands frequently, keeping your room well ventilated, ensuring adequate sleep, keeping warm, and increasing physical exercise.
3. Avoid touching, preying on, selling, buying or eating wild animals. Buy aquatic products, poultry and meat through regular channels. Poultry, eggs and meat must be thoroughly cooked before consumption.
4. If you have respiratory symptoms such as fever, feebleness and cough, please wear a mask and seek medical attention at nearby hospitals. Tell the doctor your travel and residence history (especially Hubei) and if you have any contact with patients with the above symptoms or animals.
III. Arrangements for new semester and teaching
According to SCNU’s arrangements for 2020 spring semester, online registration time for students of SIC is February 28 and 29. Tuition fees will be charged after the rescheduled opening date. Online courses will start from March 2 (Monday) and are expected to last for about one month. The time of returning to school for this semester will be notified later according to the SCNU’s requirements. Before the rescheduled opening date, all internships and social activities in China will not be conducted.
During the period of epidemic prevention and control, to help international students improve Chinese language, understand Chinese culture and complete their studies successfully, SIC will provide free online Chinese teaching for all registered international students, targeted online instruction for registered language students, and online credit courses for degree students. Chinese master’s degree students and doctoral degree students should study online courses according to the requirements of SCNU and Graduate School. Subject to jet lag and network conditions, all the courses for foreign master’s degree students and doctoral degree students are scheduled for the second half of the semester.
IV. The latest visa policy
Please visit the website（http://gdga.gd.gov.cn/jwzx/gggs/content/post_2895028.html） and read Warm Suggestions by Exit-Entry Administration of Guangdong Public Security Department (GDPSD) during the Period of Prevention and Control on Pneumonia Caused by Novel Coronavirus.
V. Enhance confidence and overcome difficulties
Dearest students, epidemic prevention and control requires the efforts of each of us. Please pay attention to Wechat groups and keep your mobile phones on. We sincerely ask for your understanding and cooperation. We hope that everyone can strengthen self-protection, pay close attention to health and safety, maintain good living habits and arrange your study reasonably.
Please firmly believe that we have SCNU’s strong and full backing. During this special period, please arrange your study and life reasonably and SCNU and SIC will strive to provide everyone with necessary help. Should there be any problem or need, please contact your teachers as soon as possible and we will provide you with the best help and suggestions.
We have every reason to believe that our concerted efforts, strong determination and scientific protection will help us soon win the fight against the novel coronavirus. When the epidemic is over, we warmly welcome you to SIC.
School of International Culture
South China Normal University
February 15, 2020